About Me

My photo
Animation, Animals, Comics, Cartoons, Scripts, Screenplays, Musicals, Children's Books, Music, and more!!!!!!....... My dog is big....REAL BIG.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Sophie: 29 Weeks

Well, I took Sophie to the Vet. It cost me $93 buckaroos.
Here's what we found out...

- The dry patchy spots on her nose/snout and head:
The vet scraped the dry spots and put the flakes on a glass slide. We looked at it under a microscope and sure enough....found a parasite. It was a weird little creature and was moving around under the microscope.
They are called....Demodex mites.
You can see the little skin-biters here...

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_demodectic_mange.html

The vet said that the parasite wasn't known to harm some breeds. He supposes that Sophie/ Anatolians are sensitive to it.
He gave me a new flea/tick medication that you pour between the shoulder blades and is eventually absorbed into the body. He said it was a new drug so he wasn't even sure if it would work for parasites. I have to apply 2 more applications over a period of 6 weeks. It is called ProMeris for dogs.
If her hair grows back in those dry areas, she is receptive to the treatment...HOWEVER, I have read some horror stories about ProMeris. I didn't have huge issues with Sophie...but be diligent and do your homework!
(Sophie did seem lucid after the treatment....and her appetite has been inconsistant. It was also the first time I saw her tail uncurled.)

- The bump on her bum/hindquarters:
The bump on her rump was unidentified. The vet wondered if she sat on something and it punctured her skin. It was infected a little and he shaved the hair and squeezed out some puss. It was gross. But he wasn't sure what it was. He gave her an antibiotic called Cephalexin just in case. I will start her on 2 pills a day tomorrow.

- The WORMS:
Disgusting, scum sucking, slimy worms. Man, how I hate those little boogers. The vet didn't think that Sophie's current issues are related to the worms. I have another dose to give her starting Wednesday. I hate knowing that she has those stinkin' blood sucking worms inside of her. I read a breeder (not asd) used a horse/ cow worm medication for his dogs. He swore by it and said that it is much more effective and kills ALL forms of worms. (costs $100 a bottle). I will check into this more.
"Ivermectin" is a drug that is commonly used... DISCLAIMER...i would do my homewrok before using any unknown drugs!

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ivermectin.html

http://www.espomagazine.com/vet/apr96.htm

- Sophie's EYES:
I also had her eyes checked. They seem glossy to me. Maybe I am paranoid...but I had him check her anyway. He said they looked fine.

- Bladder Infection:
This is an unknown too. She was only whining for two nights. After that she was fine. I'm not really sure she had a bladder infection. The vet didn't think that she had one....So, this issue is still a mystery.

Well, thats that. I will be watching her closely.
The vet flubbed up today and gave her a vaccination by mistake. It was clear on the paperwork that I wasn't there for a shot. (Sophie is all caught up til next year) As soon as the vet walked in, he grabbed her neck and gave her a shot. I said that I was sure she was already caught up on all her shots. (it was a distemper combo) He realized he made a mistake. I was a little irritated that he didn't tell me what he was doing before he stuck her. I didn't have to pay for the shot, but I was worried what effect it would have on Sophie. He said that he was sure she would be fine....but I wonder........hmmmm.

It makes me wonder if I am going to a credible vet...hmmmmm.....
Like I said, I will watch Sophie closely, and hopefully she will overcome all these issues.

later'
Yee Haw

No comments: