About Me

My photo
Animation, Animals, Comics, Cartoons, Scripts, Screenplays, Musicals, Children's Books, Music, and more!!!!!!....... My dog is big....REAL BIG.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Bitten

Yesterday was strange.

We were just about to sit down and eat supper. We usually tell Sophie to go and lay down where she will watch us eat from the back of the kitchen. Last night, instead of letting her watch us, I took her to the porch (mud room) that has a sliding door. It is just off our kitchen. I didn't use force, and I was just kinda nudging Sophie to go into the room so I could slide the door shut. As I was sliding the door shut, she bit me.

I was shocked at first, ...then really mad.
I grabbed her by the collar and yelled at her and put her in her crate.
The bite didn't hurt me at all. She didn't puncture skin and I didn't bleed...It wasn't a harsh bite, and I almost wouldn't consider that is was a mean attempt at a bite..... but the fact that she bit down on my hand was a little startling, especially considering that there are small kids around all the time and she is supposed to be a protector, not a pirahna.

I'm not even sure what she was trying to tell me. Was she saying that she didn't want to be cut off from the family? Was she saying that she wasn't about to leave the aroma of baked pork and was afraid she wouldn't get a smidge if I shut her out? Was she sick of being in the mud room? I'm not sure.

I do know this ...1) she was just fed 3 cups of purina puppy chow, 2) she had been inside all day because of the snow, 3) she was locked in her crate (which is in that back mud room) for a few hours prior so we could go to church, and she had just been outside on a potty break.

She isn't a mean dog by any means. She is a little overly excited, and can play rough....and we have had nipping issues with her....but this was an intentional bite....and you don't bite anyone especially the apha male who feeds and supports you!

p.s. I have had a pug that went "meat-crazy" whenever he was around cooked meat. (especially rotissere chicken) If anyone stood between him and the meat, you were immediately considered a threat and he was sure to let you know it. I definately try to stay away from feeding Sophie table scraps. I occasionally give her some meat scraps, but I don't want her to be as aggressive as our pug was......I could see that getting very dangerous with an LGD breed. (large gaurdian dog)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds as though she may be testing you to see her place with you. If you want you could contact me through my site and we could talk. Also I would suggest if you haven't done so already to sign up on the Anatolian L. It's a discussion list with owners, breeders, handlers and a great support system. People are very helpful and you can get all kinds of adivce and tips from lots of other owners with similar experiences. Sophie is coming to that age where she may start testing you. I've been there myself with mine. Just let her know who is in charge and don't be scared. Keep up the great work with her and the blog is awesome. I get good giggles out of it almost every time I visit.

yetipaw said...

Thanks for the response. I am currently on the ASD list but I am mostly a lurker.
Thanks for visiting!