About Me

My photo
Animation, Animals, Comics, Cartoons, Scripts, Screenplays, Musicals, Children's Books, Music, and more!!!!!!....... My dog is big....REAL BIG.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Finally! Our Anatolian Shepherd arrives! 8 weeks.

She has been worth the wait. She is simply beautiful.

I have been reading, studying and wanting an Anatolian Shepherd for nearly 10 years.
She arrived to our home in Utah on June 11th, 2008 all the way from Alabama.

I headed to the SLC airport and arrived within minutes of her plane arrival. I was pretty excited (as were my kids who were waiting at home/ some in school).

I wasn't sure what to expect. The plane ride was at least 5 hrs with a stop-over in Atlanta. I just hoped she wasn't frazzled from the ride. I was also worried about her ears and what the altitude would do to her. I just hoped for the best.

When Delta finally transported her over to the cargo hub, I got my first glimpse of the beautiful pup. She seemed very shy, and sorta shaky from the trip....but overall, seemed to have faired rather well. I really took it slow and walked her around to relieve herself. I put her in the front of my truck and tried to comfort her before heading home. She was a little nervous and timid. She cried a little...but seemed to calm down after 5 minutes.

When I got her home, I let her wander around the yard where she sniffed out the chickens, ducks, pheasants and our rabbit. Then after a bit of adjustment time, I rang our doorbell and a couple of my kids/ wife came out to greet her. Thier first impression was how soft her coat was and how sweet her eyes looked. (not to mention her big feet!) She is also very gentle and sweet.
She allows us to pet her from head to toe as well as love her.

We let her play awhile outside (she really likes it outside) and she played with the ducklings for awhile...then got bored of following them around.

My wife made her a big soft pillow bed. She curled up and slept alot. She would wake up, and scoot closer to whomever was near her and go back to her nap. She ate a little....but not much. We figured she needed to recover from the flight and transition.

I took her out before bedtime and let her sniff around outside. She found our fallen walnuts and started chewing the shells. She fell asleep at 10pm and slept throughout the night without a whimper. (we expected her to cry as other pups in our past...but nope...not a peep.)

I woke up at 5am and let her go outside.
She seems a little better. She is slowly adjusting to our animals, children etc....
(She definately seems to feel more at home when she is outside.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on Sophie! Just thought I'd let you know we have Sophie's sister! Her name is Grizabella (Bella) and she too is growing like a weed, has the sharpest teeth, and is resisting potty training. We live in Rexford Montana which is in the far northwest corner of the state so Bella had quite the flight here. About 9 hours thru Atlanta, Nashville, Minneapolis before getting to Kalispell Montana. Grizabella has a page on Dogster with pictures (which I need to add updated ones). If you want to exchange puppy raising experiences feel free to contact Lisa & Kevin at ltmoose2@aol.com