About Me

My photo
Animation, Animals, Comics, Cartoons, Scripts, Screenplays, Musicals, Children's Books, Music, and more!!!!!!....... My dog is big....REAL BIG.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Sophie:10 Weeks

I measured Sophie this weekend. She has grown an inch and a half (at the shoulder) in 2 weeks. She is now 16 inches at the shoulder. We have moved her from her medium sized crate to her extra-large crate. She definately has some room to grow in that big thing. She seems to know her name, and seems to understand the word, "no".
She is getting better on the nipping...but we still have to keep working at it.

I put together a huge dog kennel for her over the weekend. We won't keep her in there alot...only an hour or so a day. It is approximately 12 feet across X 24 feet in depth. I also appended two gates so they ducks can be along side her. It should work out great. She will now have the chickens, pheasants and ducks all around her on one side of the kennel, and the rabbit on the other side.

We have been introducing her to lots of people lately. It seems like whenever we are outside and someone drives by, they have to stop and say hi to her....and us...but mostly saying hi to Sophie.

We gave her a bath the other night. She seems to love the water. I was really impressed with how good she was. She was wonderful under all those bubbles.

She is running and excercising alot more. She is really clunky and funny to watch. Its like she is in slow motion. Her big clunky paws attatched to those thick forearms crack me up. She is a master at digging which is another thing I am trying to keep her from doing. ugh.

We heard her howling for the first time the other day. I was across our proprty talking to our neighbor. I was watching her in her kennel, but I don't think she could see me. So she started howling.

Her eyes are brown with white around the pupil/iris. Just almost like a human eye. Most dogs I can remember having didn't have white in them...they were all brown/ black....But I can't remember......its pretty cool though.

see ya.

1 comment:

JackM said...

Hi-saw your home page and couldn't resist. Don't normally write in to these type things but the circumstances and timing are uncanny to say the least. We have an Anatolian pup, Aila who just turned 12 weeks (30lbs and gaining about 5-6 lbs a week). Your experiences are somewhat an echo of ours. We are experienced dog owners and raised a couple of Alaskan Malamutes so understand dealing with large, independent minded, and hard headed dogs! I am a retired Colonel and ran across the dogs while on a special assignment in Kurdistan in the mid-90's. The military compound had adopted one as the camp dog and I fell in love with her. I'd also see them laying around all the villages. Knew I'd one day get one of these majestic animals. As to Aila, house training is going largely well except for an occasional accident, we experienced some spots of regression at 10 weeks too. Sometimes attributable to, I think, Aila punishing us for not paying attention to her or playing... Our female Malamute would sometimes punish us too, maybe a female thing... Leash training has gone very well. She sometimes wants to grab the leash and tug but I won't put up with it and never, ever let her win. Now she loves to go out on the leash and knows she must walk on my left and at heel. Nipping is a problem. We are getting better but it's a daily and hourly (seems like it) struggle and battle of wills but we never let her get away with it anymore without correction. She is getting better daily but it takes constant policing! Let me know if you have better success.
Best regards
Jack
Alexandria, VA