About Me

My photo
Animation, Animals, Comics, Cartoons, Scripts, Screenplays, Musicals, Children's Books, Music, and more!!!!!!....... My dog is big....REAL BIG.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Training

I was really impressed with the lady that came over this past weekend. She had a great knowledge of anatolian shepherds. Not only that, but you could tell she knew her stuff by how she interacted with our dog. She mentioned that some of the things we hear on the ASDI forum, and published books, etc. are not fully true and accurate. It mostly depends upon the dogs personality and the training he/she receives. She stressed that with the large breeds, we needed to display dominance of our puppy as soon as possible.

She suggested that we buy a dog choker chain. .........So we did.

The employee at Petco wasn't happy about our choker purchase. His chiding suggested that the choker was "old school" training. He said there are more humane training methods. I basically mumbled something like, ....... "get out of my way you freaking tree hugger........this is an anatolian shepherd, you dimwit!".
He probably thought that Anatolian Shepherd meant a "herdsman village in Hungary" or something. - Don't you have an owl to save...somewhere?
(maybe I'll bring Sophie in to meet him in a few months when she is a hundred pounds heavier and her fangs are 4 inches long!)

So,.....we are making really good progress. Remember how I mentioned before that Sophie would plop down on her rear when you tried to walk her as if she was saying, "Not today ,bub.". Well that is nearly resolved. Not to mention we feel like we have more control of her....and at this stage it is very important for her to know that. (the crucial 16 weeks period)

I take her out each evening for her choke......, I mean, .....walking lesson. She does really well. We practice for 15 - 20 minutes. I try not to overdue it. Sometimes we only go 10 minutes, then she gets a brush.

fun times I tell ya.

No comments: